Anyone that knows me knows that a bomb could go off, a tornado could rip through my house and Karl Lagerfeld could be splashing me with water and I STILL probably wouldn’t wake up. What can I say? I LOVE SLEEP. I love it so much that I commit to long hours of it and frequently (naps are gifts from God). This makes it extremely difficult for me to get up in the morning to get ready for work. “But Alex! You’re an adult, you should be able to get up on your own!” You don’t get it, I.LOVE.SLEEP.
Over time, I’ve had to come up with fool-proof ways to get me out of bed and to be happy about it. Hopefully, some of these tips and tricks can actually turn you into a morning person, or at least fake it long enough to get you to work on time and looking refreshed.
Actual Morning Person:
1) I used to keep my phone next to my bed and use it as my alarm. The second it went off, I turned off the volume button and returned to my cruel mistress, sleep. Needless to say, that wasn’t working for me. Even putting my phone across the room didn’t work. So I invested in an ACTUAL alarm clock. Yes, they still make them. I got this one at Anthropologie. It looks adorable on my dresser and there is no way I am sleeping through that thing. I also tried waking up to the radio on my iHome. It worked some days, but other days I fell back asleep listening to the “blah blah.. Kim Kardashian..blah…cat befriends walrus..blah blah..”.
2) Put a speaker in your bathroom. If you’re like me, I shower every morning before work. I use this simple one from C. Wonder. I just put my iPhone in it and blast some serious jams while I’m in the shower. No batteries, no cords, simple yet effective. There is no way in hell I’m not having a good day when I’m blaring 112’s “Peaches & Cream”.
$7.99- on sale for another 50% off right now!
3) I know this is a weird tip, but my mom told me to do it and it works. When you’re in the shower, or after washing your face, try smiling. Just smile a big, cheesy, borderline-creepy grin. Most of us have the same, “oh my God I can’t believe I have to work” frown on our face all morning. Just smiling a few times relieves the stress of the morning hustle and makes you just a bit happier. It works and my mom was right, PER USUAL.
How to Fake It:
There are just some mornings that not even coffee or funny cat videos can fix. For that, I have to cheat a little.
1) I put my face primer in the fridge. If you’re not using face primer before you put on your makeup, SHAME ON YOU. It makes your makeup go on so smooth and gives you a great base. Putting it in the fridge makes it nice and chilly, so when I put it on my face it really wakes me up. My all time favorite is Bare Minerals Prime Time Brightening Foundation Primer.
Bare Escentuals, http://www.bareescentuals.com
2) I like to shower everyday, but sometimes I wake up, turn on the shower, laugh, and turn it back off. No time to shower, but plenty of time to still look good! I recently Discovered Oribe Texturizing Spray. It’s great on clean hair too to add some oomph, but I also use it as a dry shampoo on second-day hair. I spray it on my roots and wherever I want volume, throw it up in a messy ballerina bun (steps below work perfect for me) and I’m done. (ballerina buns usually take me a few tries, I blame taking Jazz/HipHop instead of Ballet when I was 7).
Blue Mercury, http://www.bluemercury.com
3) Brighten your peepers. I use Benefits Watts Up! Highlighter on the inside corner of my eyes. It instantly brightens them up and hides the fact that I stayed up until 2 a.m. watching Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix (still can’t cope with Lexi dying..Shonda Rhimes is a BETCH).
4) You didn’t shower, so you probably smell just a little. No need to take an Irish Shower and douse yourself in perfume (note, co-workers WILL NOTICE and no-one likes Flowerbomb THAT much) .Body wipes make you feel fresh and clean when you don’t have time for the real thing.
5) My new favorite trick that I swear by: blow dry your eye-lash curler (Thanks LC). I blast my lash-curler (I live by Tweezerman Procurl) for a few seconds, then wait about 20 more seconds to curl. I promise you, your lashes will curl and look SO.MUCH.BETTER. Eyes will look instantly more alive. Just add a few coats of mascara (Covergirls’ Lash Blast is bomb.com) and you look like you just got back from 6 weeks at Promises Resort (for a shopping addition…not boxed wine…).
Sephora, http://www.Sephora.com Drugstores
Just try ONE of these things this week and I guarantee you’ll have a little more pep in your step in the morning. At the very least listen to 112’s Peaches &Cream. It will change your morning and possibly your entire outlook on life.